Fibromyalgia is a disorder associated with widespread musculoskeletal pain in the body that results in sleep, memory, and mood issues. Sometimes specific physical trauma, infections, or even surgery can cause the onset of symptoms. Other times, they can start over time with no event triggering them. Though there is no current cure for fibromyalgia, medication, exercise, and relaxation, can help control symptoms. Chiropractic care also provides beneficial aid to combating symptoms. We can help you fight fibromyalgia here at Molstad Chiropractic Clinic in Sioux City.
What Are the Causes of Fibromyalgia?
Nerve repetitive stimulation can result in changes to both the spinal cord and brain. The pain receptors in the brain develop a memory of the pain. This means that they can overreact to specific signals that are painful and nonpainful. Certain factors that can cause these changes are:
- Emotional or physical events
- Personal injury
What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
Symptoms of fibromyalgia include widespread pain, cognitive difficulties, and fatigue. Certain medical conditions co-exist with fibromyalgia, such as:
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Postural tachycardia syndrome
- Interstitial cystitis
- Temporomandibular joint disorders
- Migraines and other headache types
What Are the Risk Factors?
Risk factors include:
- Your gender- More women than men are diagnosed with fibromyalgia
- Family history- If you have a parent or sibling with fibromyalgia, you are more likely to develop it.
- Other disorders- You may develop fibromyalgia if you have rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, or osteoarthritis
How Can Chiropractic Treatment Help?
Chiropractic treatment for fibromyalgia patients consist of:
- Chiropractic adjustments- This technique allows your body's realignment to re-establish the connection between nerves throughout your body and the nervous system. The nervous system resets to enable the brain to process pain.
- Physical therapy- Physical therapy consists of massage and other treatments since fibromyalgia can cause severe muscle pain.
- Lifestyle recommendations- There are many recommendations that our chiropractor may suggest regarding adjustments to your lifestyle. This consists of exercise and being able to control pain with the use of medication.
- Nutrition- Our chiropractor will also suggest different diet and supplement changes you can incorporate to help alleviate symptoms.
Patients can count on successful treatment from our team for their fibromyalgia. After just one visit, many patients have reported a significant decrease in leg, neck, and back pain. Our chiropractic care is one of the best treatments for this condition since it results in immediate relief without medications.
Contact Us for an Appointment with Our Chiropractor in Sioux City, IA
For appointments to visit our team, give us a call here at Molstad Chiropractic Clinic in Sioux City. Treatment consists of massage and other chiropractic techniques used to help with symptoms and decrease pain. You can also visit our website for a list of additional treatments we offer here at our office. Contact us today to see how we can help.